Adela Exclusive Interview

A Shining Star From the East: Adela
written by Quincy Taylor

Every few years there seems to be a new birth of fresh talent that enters the music industry. Artist that attach with the people and provide inspiration alike to a new generation of fans and people growing up to learn from previous life experiences. I want to take some time to get into our R&B section and learn more of Streetrunners most recent sensation Adela.

SMM: When did you first start in music?
Adela: I have been singing for as long as I can remember, but I officially started my pursuit in music when I was in college.

SMM: Whats your nationality, and how does it evolve into your music?
Adela: I was born and raised in Durban, South Africa. I honestly cant think of a better place to come from! Even as a kid in Africa Hip Hop music always influenced me. My uncle was a DJ so I grew up watching him on the turn tables. You dont realized how much moments like that will eventually influence your life. As far back as I can remember as a kid I told everyone I wanted to grow up to be a rapper, but singing was my path.

SMM: Have you ever retraced your African roots and visited family and the country?
Adela: I went back in 1999. I will hopefully be back in time for the World Cup!

SMM: Where were you when you wrote your first song?
Adela: My garage with a boom box. I used to actually write rap verses on Nas instrumentals and then I would turn them into songs I would sing. I was never formally trained in music so I had my own way of doing things. Music has never been structured for me. If comes the way it comes...

SMM: Do you recall the lyrics and what inspired your first song?
Adela: WOW! I cant even remember that far back, but it was probably a sappy love song about a guy.

SMM: Whats the South Florida music scene like for female artist?
Adela: You know I dont stay on the scene like that. I make my music and work with my circle. I like to keep it drama free and the "scene" is never that way!

SMM: Who are your top 5 female artist of all time?
Adela: How bout I give you my top 5 male and female artists of all time. 1. Michael Jackson 2. NAS 3. Tupac 4. Mary J Blige 5. Neyo and truthfully the list goes on and on.

SMM: When do you have a album scheduled to release?
Adela: My single "Just Feel It" Produced by STREETRUNNER is scheduled to release in January. The album is coming together as we speak.

SMM: What is your creative process in writing your music?
Adela: I listen to a beat and at that point 1 of 2 things happen. Either I write or I dont! I never try to force it, because when it comes naturally it sounds more real.

SMM: What are some situations that you took from real life and you transformed into your music?
Adela: Everything I write about comes from real life. I wish I could be one of those concept writers that literally picks a topic and just goes in. Not me. I write about what I'm going through or feeling.

SMM: What are your plans for 2010?
Adela: I'm dropping my single, working on new music and letting everything go from there. Things have been happening so naturally for me that I hate forcing anything. I work hard every single day and it pays off. I will never stop making music!

SMM: If there was one thing you could change about the music industry, what would it be?
Adela: NOTHING! Its tough, its a struggle, but in the end the pay off is worth it. If you just keep moving forward, you will get there and its a way doper life than the 9 to 5!

SMM: From your travels, what is the most important lesson Adela learned about the music industry?
Adela: In general the most important lesson is BE NICE to EVERYONE! You may shit on someone today but tomorrow you may need them. And this music scene is a very tight circle. Everybody knows everything!

SMM: Going back into the music, Tell me how did you come up with the concept for No Other Love?
Adela: STREETRUNNER sent me the beat and a writer and I came up with the record. It had that classic Hiphop/R&B feel to it so we knew we needed a crazy LOVE song!

SMM: What other projects have you been apart of in your career?
Adela: Right now I'm just working on the AdELA project. On the side I've done some modelling, but my main focus is my project right now.

SMM: Tell Starmusic Media about the song " Just Feel It" and its concept
Adela: Just Feel It is that club banger! The beat is insane. Its huge and it will knock you out. The concept is "I dont give a $&#T! what you think of me, but you are gonna JUST FEEL IT! Its a little cocky and its an anthem so I cant wait to get that record out.

SMM: Whats your new years resolution?
Adela: My resolution is to go into OVER DRIVE with my music.

SMM: What producers did you work with to shape your style and sound?
Adela: STREETRUNNER is my other half. We have been working together from the first song I ever recorded till now. We have a musical partnership. I love his sample heavy sound and his beats are HUGE!

SMM: Who are some other artist that you would like to work with?
Adela: Too many to name but NAS is at the top of my list.

SMM: Any last mentions or shout outs?
Adela: STREETRUNNER, ILO, Smash, Laine, Ava, Monique, Mix Studios, Tommy P, Issy, Big Mike, Real, Bridge, Mari, Gee, Quincy and the entire AdELA MUSIC Family!

SMM: if anyone wants to book you for an event or feature on a song, how do they do so?
Adela:
Adelamusic@gmail.com

Just Feel It
http://divshare.com/download/9876000-574
No Other Love
http://divshare.com/download/9337972-56f



Comments

SHM . said…
i know adela hassan personally , she was my 7th grade science teacher. all the stuff she says about "being nice " is a LIE. while i was in her class she told us we were annoying and that she would rather " teach dogs ".she probably want to kis a** to get in the music industry,all i kno is that i wouldnt buy not one of her CDs becuase of her vulgar ways of speaking to children.i love music,and i believe you should be a influence to people younger than you.and too me she isnt. and if she gets "famous" i will deffinately tell the world about her true colors .
Anonymous said…
wow ive met adela and she is one of the most refreshing new acts to emerge in music today a total joy to work with. guess the kid above had issues w/ adela as a teache o wait wasnt she a language arts teacher?