Industry Insider: Exclusive Interview with Publicist So Sincere

Give us some background info as to who you are.

My name is So Sincere, everyone calls me Sin. I am originally from NYC and for the past 6 years have been in Ohio. I have been in the music industry going on my 6th year. I started taking pictures at events got with my mentor Quincy Tylor and moved up to bookings, coordinating and learning..A LOT! After almost 2 years I started my own company with two close friends MJK and Ivette called Added Bonus Ent. A.B.E was created as a one stop shop for everything from events to management ect. I hated management more then anything (big ups to all the managers out there I commend you BIG TIME!) but I loved to help people succeed so after doing a lot of soul searching and research I became a full time publicist in late 2008. Even though I am a Publicist I also write, do event Coordinating (mostly for charity events) and a Private Consultant. I was an editor at a major website for 2 years until I resigned in 2009, I contribute writings to Street Report Magazine and am the Senior Editor for 216thetakeover.com. I also am an honorary member of the Nerve DJ’s.

My clients are from all over the country and world. As a publicist my current client listing is: Producers: Killah Kalam (Cleveland/ATL/NYC), Young Yonny (Cleveland), L.T. mOE (ATL), Bao Pham (Montgomery AL), I also work for: DJ Ames (UK), Gotta Husle/GH Ent (Youngstown OH) Klassik (Tampa FL) Catalyst (NYC). I am the recipient of the 2007 Voices against the Silence award and 2009 Duval Diamond Awards Midwest Publicist of the year. I have sat on panels at the Nerve DJ Conferences as well as the 2010 Southern Ent Awards. I was an invited guest on several Bigga Rankin/Strong Family conference calls in 2009, including the Power Female call and have attended events from the Underground Music Awards in NYC to several ITK Seminars via webinar.

What experiences have contributed to your skills as publicist?

Dealing with all different kinds of people from an early start in my career really helped. Knowing that everyone is different and to specifically address things to individuals is very important. Being able to research and know what I am talking about in order to best serve my clients is a major factor in my work. Also being able to communicate properly with my clients and to others about my clients is probably one of the most important pieces to the puzzle to doing my job. There is also an art to networking. My mentor, Quincy Taylor aka Big Heff, from Cleveland is one of the best networkers I have ever seen. Learning from him really was priceless. To master the art of networking is one of the hardest things I have had to learn, besides not taking things personal and not showing the pit-bull side of me until it is necessary. It took me years to learn not to take things personal and to remain calm in certain situations and It’s hard still, but I finally got the tough skin everyone told me about in the beginning (laughs) and the calm needed to accomplish my job when dealing with less then favorable situations or people in this industry.


What is a typical day at work like?

No day is typical in the day in the life of a publicist (laughs) but regularly I wake up before 9am and go through emails, check websites like HipHopDx.com for news that I may not have got in my emails. I do a lot of research and planning for things like up coming events that my clients may benefit from or want to attend. There is always something going on in the world of hip hop around the country. I spend 99% of my day juggling the phone and my computer. I am also always Networking, Networking, Networking! There is something new all the time and everyday I learn something new or meet someone new, it’s amazing!


What’s the typical process you go through to get exposure for an act?

Well, first let me explain how I start the process with a client.
First and foremost I ask my client what they want how can I contribute to make their goals happen. Making them happy makes me happy and its MY JOB to do what my client wants. I also find out what have they already done and been a part of in their career and what have they not done and or don’t want to be a part of. I work for the client they don’t work for me, so at the end of the day I have to make sure I do my job not only to the best of my ability but to the needs and wants of my client.

I research things like what sites would be best for them to be a part of, every magazine, website, blogspot ect most times have a specific topic. Like I would not set up a Hip Hop client to be on a country website (laughs) or a better example, knowing that I would not submit a DJ to the Across the Traxx section of Street Report Magazine, I would submit them for the DJ’s with Clout section. I have to know and be specific and very detail oriented. I have some clients that like doing panels, I have some that don’t, I have some clients that like doing live interviews I have some that want only written. At the end of the day for each client I have a set plan for and goals specifically for them each quarter or for the duration of their contract with me.

So once I know what they want, lets say to sit on a panel at an event, I contact the person who is running the event (this is where networking comes in super handy or being able to research things) then we talk about whats available and how my client can be a part of their event. Then once that is set up, we do press releases, website posts, blogs and keep track of the promotions for the event and support those via myspace, email blasts, twitter ect. If I can find a lot media outlet I may get them a ticket to attend on my clients behalf so they can take pics, also I ask my clients to either bring their flip cams (a necessity in this business thank you Wendy Day) or someone who can film them. Then we take that footage and post it. We also try and get the media list if possible that attended the event and I contact them and get their links and again support it via outlets.

If I have a client going out of town or in town for an event somewhere new I try and set up meetings for them to network with people I know in that area. When contacting a print magazine, I learned that having exclusive photos is a great thing to be able to offer the media outlet, (thanks Kim Ellis). I do also request and over sea that my client has promo on any material they are to attend or a part of the promo that will be public.

A lot of publicists have their niche. Some may be better with new media then print, they may be better with sponsors and event appearances. I try to learn how to be good at combining all of those for my clients based on their needs and wants. I may not be the best in the business, but I always do my best, and again its a learning process everyday and being willing to learn.


Is it true that there is no such thing as bad publicity?

Well, to be honest in my eyes, there is such a thing as bad publicity. Let me explain. If someone falsely puts my client on a flyer for an appearance (which recently happened to me just a week before I am doing this interview) or whatever and my client is not booked for that event and hence doesn’t show up, people can say they don’t care about their city or whatever and in that case can effect my clients brand and image. That’s bad publicity I don’t want to see happen. Even though it was caused by someone’s carelessness and lack of knowledge the backlash can effect more then just the promoter or club that falsely promoted my client. That’s when the pit-bull comes out (laughs)


How do you find your clients?

Most of my clients have been someone I have known for a while and have networked with and from seeing my work and me seeing theirs we ended up working together. With producer L.T. mOE, but we became friends through tons of phone calls but it all started because I got co-signs from a couple people he was close with.

I have turned down A LOT of offers over the last 2 years since I became a full time publicist. A couple reasons is I heard many people say “Not all money is good money” and I believe that, and some people I am not a fan of them as a human being or their music. I’m not saying they aren’t good people, or aren’t good artists but I know me and what I need in order to work with someone. Also, I know my limitations. Sometimes I want to pick up a client but because I am so busy I know I cant and it wouldn’t be fair to them, so I have no problems referring them to other amazing publicists in the business that may be able to help them better then I can. Knowing ones limitations is hard, and wasn’t always easy for me to admit, but at the end of the day it makes for good business.


Do you only work with producers and artists?

I actually work for DJ Ames from the UK (International Hustle Series/Coast2Coast DJ) and I work with Gotta Husle Entertainment not just the group Gotta Husle. I really am up for working with anyone from any part of the hip hop industry but again it has to be the right fit.


What is the philosophy by which you live by?

“Hip Hop is not a right, it is a privilege”. I love my culture and if it wasn’t for hip hop I would not be alive today. It is deeper for me then just money or fame. It’s about respecting the culture that saved my life when I was 19. I know that no matter what I do it could all be gone tomorrow, so everyday I have to do my best and what I stand for but also I have to answer to my clients first and foremost, I always remember that I represent others when I am out. Its not all about me, just like hip hop. Its not just about the artists, its about the DJ, the BBoys/BGirls, The producers, the engineers, the promoters, the media outlets, the bloggers, ect. So I feel privileged when I am able to connect with people, and I try appreciate every move I have been able to make everyday. I also remember, no one owes me anything, so I am humbled when I get call backs, or people answer my call or post information about my clients I send them. They didn’t have to do that they could have picked hundreds of others to support but they supported my clients or myself that makes me grateful beyond words.


What is your opinion of the current state of Hip Hop?

I think Hip Hop is doing what it always does. It goes through phases and eventually always comes full circle back to the heart of hip hop, back to lyrics and great music. Each generation adds a new layer to hip hop, hate it or love it you have to respect it. Hip Hop has to evolve with the generations or it would die off. I may be a personal fan of certain kinds of hip hop but that doesn’t give me the right to tell someone that what they listen to isn’t hip hop to them. for those die hard true to core hip hop fans great music wins in the long run over what they might consider “no substance” hip hop because at the end of the day, artists like Method Man are still around but some of the “one hit wonders” or “the next new thing” were around for a couple years and then evaporate never to be heard from again. Hip Hop (music) is a billion dollar business as well as every aspect of our hip hop culture and lifestyle, it is in every part of the world so no matter if I like what’s playing on top 40 I have the choice to turn the channel that’s the great thing about free will. People complain that “real hip hop” isn’t around anymore or is dying off, I think they just need to change the station.

Also, I once watched a video of Brother Ali talking about “underground fans” and hip hop that helped me understand more that how I felt was ok. He talked about how basically back in the day depending on our mood we listened to all different kinds of hip hop from public enemy to heavy D, it doesn’t make one or the other less hip hop.

I know for me, I like to listen to all kinds of music, but to be all the way honest some of the “underground lyrical unknown artists” (for lack of a better description) they make some depressing music. I don’t want to be depressed all the time. Sometimes I want to dance, sometimes I want to cry, sometimes I just want to have fun and not give a f&*! sometimes I want to ride and chill out in my car and if all you offer is one type of music, or all depressing music that sounds the same again and again then you A. cut yourself off to a huge chunk of the world and consumers and B. you show that you have a limitation and only offer 1 thing (and there are a lot of people like me who like variety)

If you can change one thing about the music industry what would it be and why?

If I could change just one thing, it would be how lazy and fake people are. It makes my job harder and it makes me actually sad to see people trying to cheat the system or cheat artists or take advantage. Its not hard to be legit in this business with hard work, but some people just want to skip all the hard work. I hate also the lack of respect especially for vets, producers, DJ’s and many people behind the scenes like Wendy Day.


What do unsigned artists need to learn more if they are to increase their chances of building successful careers in the music business?

Be honest, work hard, earn respect, travel and I mean go outside your bubble, and know your limitations. Don’t be afraid to ask for help, don’t always think everything is free (everyone got bills to pay) and don’t be afraid to do something different. Instead of following the trends create your own trend. and then after all is said and done…WORK HARDER. Realize NOTHING is handed to you and that you can NOT do this alone.

Any final words for the people.

NEVER GIVE UP! With hard work, common sense, good business & work ethic, humility and common courtesy, dreams really do come true!

I just want to thank Jesse Jess for this opportunity and for everything he and his company has done and continues to do to support our culture. I want to thank the army that stands by me everyday and help me do what I love. Special thank you to my family and Ivette aka Chi Chi my right hand, Best friend who without her especially I would not be where I am, and MJK for all the amazing advice and support through the years. I have to give a huge special thank you fellow women in the industry: Kim Ellis, Wendy Day, Cole, Elora Mason, DJ Dimepiece, Nancy Byron, Arica, Starr, Marlo Jackson, and so many other amazing women who lead everyday by their example! THANK YOU!

To all my clients who believe and trust me to represent them, all the DJ’s and all media outlets who continue to support. THANK YOU! Every single person in my network I appreciate you (I’d name you each by name if I could but we would be here for a while and you all probably need to get back to work) (laughs) and the biggest thank you I must do: to hip hop.

Comments