Interview with DJ Fresh of Z1079 @djfresh

Photobucket

StarMusic Media Interview with DJ Fresh of Z1079 written by SteelCity Queen 
SteelCity Queen: Where, originally, are you from?
DJ Fresh: I'm from Cleveland.
SteelCity Queen: When did you know you wanted to be a DJ?
DJ Fresh: I didn't really know. I kinda like fell into it. My dad was a gospel DJ so I was like a very curious kind of kid. I kinda just started messing around with his stuff and that's how I got into the interest of equipment and stuff like that.
SteelCity Queen: How did you come up with the name DJ Fresh?
DJ Fresh: Actually my brother, who passed away a couple years ago, he was the one who kinda gave me the name. Because he was a cool dresser I guess and had all the name brand stuff and he was kinda like my idol so I use to steal his clothes. He use to say "Oh you think you fresh?" So I just used that and put DJ in front of it.
SteelCity Queen: What was the first event you hosted or put together?
DJ Fresh: The first party I did was my 8th grade graduation party at Brown Middle School. That was kinda the first time I started getting my compassion. Like I really got people dancing to what I'm playing. But my first real party happened in 9th grade at Glenville. I did all the little parties and actually they had a little thing at Glenville called the Radio Club where we did all the announcements and for like the first 15 minutes of every morning, I would do a live mix over the PA throughout the school. But 8th grade was the first time I actually did a party where I brought the music. I didn't have turn tables, just cd's. 9th grade was when I started buying equipment and stuff like that.
SteelCity Queen: You've done parties not just across the nation, but all over the globe. Where was your favorite party place?
DJ Fresh: I have alot of favorite places. One is in Miami. I did parties in Canada. This is crazy! If I had a choice, Atlanta is one of my favorite places to party.
SteelCity Queen: Of course, you can't go wrong with Atlanta!
DJ Fresh: No, you can't. You can't. I mean it's just when I went to Europe and stuff, it was different because they weren't up to speed with alot of stuff that was playing. I had to play like alot of house music. Kinda like a pop set, but it was cool.
Photobucket
SteelCity Queen: What record "never fails" for you to spin?
DJ Fresh: What record never fails. That's a tough one. Khalid "Win" never fails because it keeps the crowd anticipating and everybody throws their hands up. I spin that record often.
SteelCity Queen: Who are the top DJ's, besides yourself, in your eyes?
DJ Fresh: Kid Capri, Jazzy Jeff, Funkmaster Flex, Mick Boogie, and I think DJ Excel is really dope. SteelCity Queen: You've worked with numerous artists and DJ's. Who have you worked with that has motivated you the most?
DJ Fresh: More DJ's have motivated me than an artist so I'ma keep it on the DJ side and say Jazzy Jeff.
SteelCity Queen: Back in 2005 you got recruited to one of Cleveland's hottest radio stations. How has z107.9 impacted your career?
DJ Fresh: A broader fan base. I was doing alot of mixes at the time and alot of clubs in Cleveland. I mean z107.9 came after me, but the impact it had was like I started doing concerts they had, like Summer Jam, where I was surprised to see how many people actually listen to my show and people actually know my name and who I am you know what I'm saying? Kinda gave me a bigger listening base and better opportunities too because I get alot of gigs through the fact that I'm already on the radio. That's probably the best thing about it. I mean it's alot of bs too but on the positive side, I've had more people tune into my show.
Photobucket
SteelCity Queen: How is the music scene in your eyes at the moment?
DJ Fresh: To me it's weak. I come from the era where music in the 90's was good and uptempo. Not like house music but uptempo and club friendly. Now days everything's kinda slow and ain't talking about nothing and talking about the same stuff. Back in the 90's in the clubs you could do a reggae set or do a eastcoast set, westcoast set, down south set. Now it's like everything sounds the same to me as far as the music. That's why I like people like Kendrick Lamar because they're rhyming about something. Don't get me wrong, I still like the music but when I compare it to what it was in the early 2000's, nothing can compare to it.
SteelCity Queen: Hip hop ain't the same no more that's for sure.
DJ Fresh: I mean even like the down south artists you had like Cash Money, No Limit but it was consistant. Now days you get a hit and your next single is horrible. It's just not consistant at all.
SteelCity Queen: What advice would you give an up and coming DJ?
DJ Fresh: Do it for the right reasons. Not because it's cool or it's the thing to do at the moment because that will come later. Do it for the craft and art of being a DJ.
SteelCity Queen: How can you be contacted?
DJ Fresh: Instagram- world famous dj fresh; email- djfresh156@gmail.com; twitter- @DJFRESH

Comments